According to a report made by the City of Melbourne’s future urban forest, at least 20% of the 375 existing tree species within the city are vulnerable to rising temperatures. The horticultural research of Melbourne University revealed that the city’s mean annual temperature of 16.5 degrees has increased by 2 degrees since 1950. Temperature increases have a negative impact on trees.
Many of the cold climate European deciduous trees that include the silver birch, Dutch elm, Scots pine and European beech are existing at the upper limits of their temperature range. It is not only the exotic trees that will be impacted by a warmer climate in Melbourne. Eucalypts have a narrower temperature range and they are likely to struggle at higher temperatures together with the blue gum and rough barked Manna gum.
Conservative estimates suggest a 0.8 degree increase in mean annual temperature by 2040, making 35% of the trees species highly vulnerable. By 2090, the number of trees that will be affected by the predicted 3-degree temperature increase will rise to more than one half or 62%. Horticultural researcher Dr. Dave Kendall said the trees in Melbourne could not tolerate a temperature range of around 8 degrees. The current 2-degree increase already accounts for 25% of the margin of certain tree species. From the report, it is clear that Melbourne is too hot for some types of tree species.
For example, the silver birch and snow pear that originated from Europe and some parts of Asia will not survive in high temperature. Most Australian native trees will survive higher temperatures but they are vulnerable when the temperature is low. The research if applied will guide countries in urban forest planning. It can also be the basis for decisions on what trees should be planted now to ensure that urban forests will thrive in the future.
When you want to prune the trees in your garden or redesign the entire backyard, tree loppers in Perth are available to provide the service. A space that is both safe and practical will be created to satisfy your requirements. Tree lopping services are available for both residential and commercial needs.
After a stressful wedding planning, it is only right to have the best honeymoon because it may be the best you will ever have in your entire life. The key is to find the right place that will suit your and your partner to be. Here are some of the top honeymoon destinations in the world:
- Baros, Maldives. If you are looking to spend your honeymoon in a water villa then this place is for you. It has 30 wooden villas that are placed like a crescent with a boardwalk and it is located in a lagoon. You will have your own four poster bed and a personal sunbathing deck complete with loungers and daybed.
- Bora Bora, Tahiti in Four Season Resort. This is another over the water villa option. Each villa has a broad bed and private deck. The steps led to the sea and if you are daydreaming of a bathtub with one of the best views then you are lucky because you will be able to see the Mount Otemanu in Bora Bora which is located across the lagoon.
- George’s Caye Resort located in Belize. This is for couples who have limited budgets but dreams of staying in an over the water villa. There are six cabanas with thatched roof available and all are built over the Caribbean Sea. There are beds provided with mosquito nets, a porch with its own hammock and a private bath.
- Gecko Beach Club located in Formentera. This is just 30 minutes away from Ibiza and you will need to ride a ferry to reach it. The good thing about this place is an endless beach located in a secluded area but the best accommodation you will have is in the Migjorn beachfront hideaway.
- Amanpuri, Thailand. If it is an Aman hotel, you know you are in good hands. Amanpuri is the first ever resort that the company has launched to the public. The place is overlooking Pansea Beach with its blue sea and perfect sand.
These are just some of the many honeymoon destination options. Remember to choose the one that you will never forget for a lifetime. This is a reward after planning a wedding for months, from choosing the colours, flowers, cake tasting as well as looking for Party Equipment for Hire in Sydney.
Back in the early 80s, it was the tradition of Christopher Alan Smith’s family to board their car and leave their home located in northwest Austin for frequent road trips all over Texas. During these trips, Smith would be busy with maps. He recalled that those times there are no GPS and he used the maps in order to track the route where his father is going. He would see signs that they are almost to another town and he would use the map to provide a rough estimate of their location. He admitted that back then he was already a map geek.
What was known to be Smith’s passion when he was a child would later be his career in life. In 2006, he used to work as a graphic designer for a book publisher that is located in Austin when he also began making his own board with a Republic of Texas as theme during his free time. The project was stalled because of problems regarding marketing as well as packaging. It was then that Smith diverted his time on making a sketch of maps instead with the help of a pen and ink as well as acrylic paints. He started to make map illustrations regarding historic sites and facts. It was in 2008 that he was able to have his own exhibit at the Bayou City Art Festival in Houstonwhich is an art show with juries. He was able to sell around $5,500 worth of map illustrations. It was during that time that he realized that he could make maps as his full time work and he decided to do just that after he was laid off from his job within the same year.
Smith is now 45 years old and ever since that year, he has sold thousands of map illustrations with a Texas theme. The maps have various titles such as Texas Oil and Gas and Cattle Trails among many others. His work can cost a minimum of $800 and a number of his map illustrations are already hanging in the offices of the state legislators as well as known musicians.
One of the most popular and commonly preferred basins is ceramic. Ceramics are made of a mixture of metal, clay and glass, making it one of those materials with high resistance to moisture or low moisture absorbency. There are several advantages one can get out of choosing ceramics for their sink. Three of these advantages include the following:
- Easy Maintenance. Ceramic sinks give off smooth finish with low absorbency for moisture. Its smooth finish makes the sink easy to clean and maintain which can be used with basic all-purpose cleaning. It does not require specialized cleaning materials nor will you need toxic cleaners to scrub the surface for cleaning. All you need is a clean, damp cloth and mild dish detergent and you are good to go. Ceramics are also stain resistant which guarantee lengthened use in your bathroom.
- Affordable and Accessible. A typical ceramic basin would cost around $100 to $800 depending on style, size and other considerations. Apart from being affordable, one advantage of choosing ceramic basins is that they can easily be found on hardware and other home furnishings store. Whenever there are sink and bathroom fixture sold, you can be sure that a ceramic basin would be available.
- Clean finish. Because of its clean surface finish, ceramic basins look more presentable. This could provide added value to your property should you want to resell it. It also does not require heavy maintenance and cleaning due to its inherent quality of low moisture absorption. Ceramic basins are suitable for frequently used bathroom since cleaning would not be an issue.
- Earth-friendly. Ceramics may not exactly be recyclable but they are definitely downcyclable. When ceramic sinks are no longer needed, they are ground up into powder to create another form of ceramic. This way, you reduce the need to produce another set of ceramics which require a lot of energy with most of its ingredients are mined from the earth.
If you want to know more about ceramics sinks, the cost of its installation and other information, contact your local provider or consult a sink fitter near you.
The yearly San Diego Comic-Con International kicked off July 20 amidst the usual hassles.
In what used to be called as Golden State Comic Book Convention when it was founded in 1970 by San Diegans, it is now on its 47th year.
The union of San Diego and Comic-Con is still thriving. There seems to be no stopping this geek pop culture of science fiction and fantasy.
A lot of people waited all day before the 6pm exhibition hall opening last Wednesday. Prices were shocking with some toy figures running a hundred dollars each. It was no different whether it was sold from booths in the parking lots or from toy companies. There were also video games and comic books. While some pieces were sold expensively, there were still comic books selling for 1 dollar.
The show continued on through Sunday. Each day was defined by entertainment spectacles. But, it was also like going through endurance training and patience tests with all the numerous activities lined up for goers. People brought sleeping bags, blankets, chairs, snacks and lots of water to get themselves prepared for enduring the long waits and long lines. All this extravagance and exhilaration entailed patience, tolerance and energy. But people endured this for an experience like no other. Those experiences included seeing Star Trek Beyond’s premiere, its cast and the San Diego Symphony Orchestra on a live performance. There was a 2 hour wait to score tickets for this event.
Although some big studios have stepped back on their presence at Comic-Con, it still remained a marketplace for game manufacturers, publishers, fine art dealers, and so on. The number of goers rise up annually. There was a 135,000 estimate for this year.
The future of Comic-Con and other conventions like this still remains to be seen. While there is a huge cult following for this pop culture of science fiction and superhero stories, fans will always make their way to conventions. They may come as they are or they may be dressed in TV Store Online Costumes and walk their way through the halls to enjoy the acceptance of things geeky and nerdy as cool. There is no stopping them here.
There are times when you would want or need to remove a tree in your home because of varying reasons. However, you should know that there are tree regulations that are placed to protect these trees and if you don’t have a good enough reason to remove your trees, you probably can’t.
Trees are protected by the law because of the importance of their role not just for humanity but for the entire planet as well. So if you don’t know what trees can do for you, which is a lot, here are some important facts about trees you should know about courtesy of Mark Tremain from Ark Fencing & Treework.
- Trees Clean the Air. Trees are important because they help clean the earth’s air. In fact, from 1990 to 2007, global forests have removed about one-third of the total fossil fuel emissions. They remove pollution from the air and they also help improve the quality of air that every living creature breaths and by doing so, they are also improving the quality of health of humans. Also, roadside trees reduce about 50% of indoor air pollution.
- Trees Saves Lives. According to the US Forest Service, community forests save an average of one life every year in 10 cities. In New York City alone, 8 lives are saved. Trees help improve the quality of health of people. In fact, office workers with a view of trees are less stressed.
- Trees Provide Oxygen. One single large tree can produce enough oxygen enough to last four people in a day. Also, 20% of the world’s oxygen supply is supplied by the Amazon Rainforest. This means trees are critical to humanity’s survival.
- Trees Help Reduce the Effects of Climate Change. In order to produce oxygen, trees would need to absorb cabon dioxide which is a primary cause of climate change. In fact, during one year, a mature tree would be able to absorb 48 pounds of carbon dioxide and ould release oxygen in exchange.
- Trees are Important to Wildlife. They provide a vital habitat for many animals and forests are necessary and important because they shelter countless of species.
- Trees Increase Property Value. Properties with street trees would sell more than those that don’t.