The world of sports can provide a person with prestige, fulfillment, and excitement. However, when one engages in sports, no matter if it’s professionally or just a personal interest, safety must always be prioritized. There’s no better feeling than feeling the fulfillment and excitement whilst staying safe. A lot of people are cycling enthusiasts. But cycling on the road presents its own form of danger. If you are passionate about cycling, here’s how you can stay safe.
- Be a Good Citizen. The first thing you should do is become familiar with all of the applicable traffic laws as well as the cycling rules. Remember, cycling also comes with a few responsibilities. Motorists will be able to respect cyclists more when they carefully adhere to the laws by which the local governments had placed on them. Don’t try to block traffic as much as possible and don’t use the wrong side of the street.
- Follow the Right Direction. And by right, it would be the direction of the traffic. It is definitely unsafe or even illegal to ride on the sidewalk or towards oncoming traffic.
- Join In. Sometimes, it is much better to ride in the same speed as the traffic and riding with the traffic itself. This would make you more visible to motorists.
- Eye to Eye Contact. Remember to make eye contact with drivers so that drivers can assert your position on the road. This connection would also help drivers be reminded that you are a fully functioning human on the road with life.
- Be Aware. You should always be aware of your surroundings. Know who is in front of you and who is behind. Be out on the lookout for hazards and danger.
- Wear Protective Gear. Cyclists have their own form of clothing so make sure you are wearing premium sportswear or protective gear that will be able to protect you or lessen the impact or damage in the case something goes wrong.
- Be Visible. Wearing reflective clothing would be able to make you more visible. Adding visibility can greatly help lessen the likelihood of accidents.