You don’t need to be an Olympic athlete just to go scuba diving in Phuket, but you need to be healthy to do the water sport. If you are a beginner or neophyte to scuba diving, you need to ensure your heart and lungs are working fine. You must be able to swim and be comfortable in the seawaters. Intellectually, you need to be responsible, have self-discipline and good judgment to enjoy this popular water sport.
If you are here in Phuket to learn how to dive or for a dive trip, here are essential tips to keep you healthy during your attempts here:
- Always avoid dehydration. The weather in Thailand is really hot so you need to drink lots of water and avoid too much sun. Yes, you can get a healthy tan but you need to be extra cautious with the sun’s UV rays.
- Never drink too much alcohol. Sure, there are lots to enjoy in Phuket; however, when you dive, you should never be under the influence of alcohol.
- Eat healthy food. Thai food is generally healthy as you see less locals that are overweight. However, you need to eat well when you go for a dive trip to have more energy.
- Get plenty of rest. To enjoy the scuba diving in Phuket, you need to be well rested to enjoy the dives. Never party all night if you are out for this sport the following day.
- Never smoke while on a dive boat. Aside from having it bad for your lungs, it can annoy your companions who are non-smokers.
- On the boat trip if you get seasick, ensure you have the medication in advance. If you don’t feel well, just stay in the boat and wait till the instructor and your companions return.
Insurance for Divers
To ensure your safety and protection, it’s best that divers secure personal travel insurance. See if scuba diving in Phuket is covered. If you have no insurance, you can pay around 250 baht and you can have a coverage up to 500,000 baht from a local Thai insurance company. It’s also suggested to include a trip cancellation insurance to secure your safety.